There is nothing more satisfying than reading a large, soft piece of grilled sandwich and biting into that melting beauty. especially when it is low-carb!
¼ cup almond flour (25 g/ 0.9 oz)
½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tbsp light olive oil or extra virgin olive oil (15 ml) pinch of sea salt
1 large egg
1 slice cheddar cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
1 slice Swiss cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
Optional variations (use instead of the above filling): 2 Tbsp Red Eye Bacon Jam,
2-3 slices of Brie cheese and a handful of spinach
3-4 oz cooked chicken,
¼ sliced avocado,
1-2 slices Jarlsburg cheese
1-2 slices Pastrami,
3-4 slices Provolone cheese and 2 sliced red onion
01. Place all of the bread ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
02. Grease a ramekin, or like me find a bread-shaped storage container. Pour the mixture into the container and shake to distribute evenly.
03. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Turn out and cool on a rack. Note: If you don’t have a microwave, you can use the oven. Preheat to 175 °C/ 350 °F and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
04. When cool, cut in half and spread with butter, if desired. Place the cheese slices in the middle and toast for approx. 5 minutes (or try any of our suggested variations).
05. Eat with gusto. Store, wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Net carbs 4.3 g
Protein 25.6 g
Fat 49.4 g
Calories 564 kcal
Total carbs 6.8 g
Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Saturated fat 14.8 g
Sodium 761 mg (33% RDA)
Magnesium 90 mg (23% RDA)
Potassium 276 mg (14% EMR)